Kubernetes is the leading container orchestrator in software development, but you knew that already. With multiple companies, from Red Hat to Rancher, creating distributions built on top of the Google-native service and endless commentary that compares Kubernetes to other proprietary container orchestrators, there’s little doubt about the tool on developers’ minds.
In this conveniently-compiled Kubernetes compilation, we feature the most useful, liked, and complete articles from our contributors. Starting with a few articles to introduce you to the service as a whole, we then take a deep dive into Kubernetes architecture and components and how to get started using them. Next, we review some useful information about implementing Kubernetes with tutorials and tools, with guest appearances from Java and DevOps.
The battle royales are up next, and you can see how you other favorite orchestrators stack up to Kubernetes. Finally, we end on a high note with articles that bring together the most popular container orchestration service with the most popular containerization platform, Docker.
What Is Kubernetes?
Getting Started: Kubernetes Installation, Components, and Architecture
The Moving Parts
Fantastic Pods and How to Use Them
Networking, Namespaces, and Persistent Volumes, Oh My!
Kubernetes Autoscaling: Bigger and Better
Daniel Stori is one of our prolific contributors at DZone, and provides much-need humor with his comics. So if you need a break, check out a few of his Kubernetes-related illustrations:
Using and Developing With Kubernetes
The Hot Takes
Kubernetes Development Selections
Monitoring: Keeping an Eye on Things
Kubernetes Comparisons: Kubernetes vs. Everyone
The Container Orchestrator Wars
- Kubernetes vs. Docker by Alfonso Valdes — In this article, we take a closer look at the details of this debate, the inner workings of each of these services, and why a competition may not be necessary.
- Kubernetes vs. Amazon ECS by Akshai Parthasarathy — This comparison of Kubernetes and AWS ECS compares their usefulness for container orchestration by examining their features and seeing where they fall short.
- Docker Swarm vs. Kubernetes: What You Really Need To Know by Jayashree Hegde Adkoli — Docker Swarm and Kubernetes are the main two competing containerization management platforms, and there is heated debate about which one is better. Read more here.
- Kubernetes vs. Mesos: Choosing a Container Orchestration Tool by Roi Ravhon — As companies turn to container orchestration tools to help manage workloads, see how one made the choice between Kubernetes and Mesos (DC/OS).
- Kubernetes vs. OpenShift: What Is the Difference? by Gilad David Maayan — This article analyzes the difference between Red Hat’s open-source container orchestration solution, OpenShift, and the Kubernetes platform on which it’s built.
- Container Wars: Kubernetes vs. Docker Swarm vs. Amazon ECS by Julia Pearson — Can’t decide between Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, and Amazon ECS? We make a comparison of each of the services and their usability to better inform you.
- Deploying Microservices: Spring Cloud vs. Kubernetes by Bilgin Ibryam — Take a look at how deploying microservices compares depending on whether you use Spring Cloud and Kubernetes, and how each differs depending on its use.
- A Comparison of Kubernetes Distributions by Vlad Voskoboynikov — Kubernetes’s popularity and open-source nature have made it the subject of a number of different distributions with a range of features, services, and prices.
Kubernetes and Docker: Friend or Foe?
Docker Images and Kubernetes: Get the Picture?
At Your (Micro)Service
Docker, Kubernetes, and Friends
from DZone Cloud Zone